The advancement of technologies allowed people to integrate any forms of media and the internet. People know most about digital media that connects with many other things, especially online. Moreover, people have even made a way to integrate digital media into non-digital ones.
Then comes the Internet of Things, or IoT, which is a system that changed the communication modes of different media. While people know already about IoT, some are still left in the dark. They even probably don’t have any idea that such a system exists.
If you’re one of them, here is what you need to know about the Internet of Things.
What is the Internet of Things?
Firstly, you should understand what makes the internet. The term “Internet” is not short for something, but interconnected networks are best defined.
The internet refers to global networks that can connect through a specific protocol. It is a way for devices to communicate with each other. In a modern context, connecting to the internet means going online or merely being online.
Secondly, the internet of things is the integration of the internet to ordinary things. These things aren’t generally on the internet, and the system IoT changes these things.
The IoT is an innovation where regular devices are “upgraded” and improved for a better environment. Everything connected to the internet is referred to as IoT. If possible, the whole world can become part of IoT if everything in it can be connected to the internet.
Here are a few examples of IoT devices.
- Smart Devices. You might have a few of them and never knew they were of IoT. This includes smartwatches, smartphones, smart TV, and a smart fridge.
- Cars. If you’re a car lover, you might have noticed that vehicles now have small computer screens that can do a lot more than play music.
- Bio-implants. With innovation, a few bio-implants can now go online, such as heart monitor implants and biochip transponders.
- Building Safety Measures. Most commonly, safety measures now come with IoT sensors that detect certain factors at specific parameters.
Why IoT Matters?
The IoT is beneficial to numerous people, especially businesses, and that’s true for three reasons.
- Relaying Information: Not ignoring the primary purpose of the internet, smart devices communicate very efficiently. This is one of the main goals of IoT, which is to relay information from one source to another. With this system, it is quick and easy with less hassle than before.
- Responding to Information: Another primary purpose for some smart devices is to respond appropriately to the environment. Basic examples would be fire alarms, vital signs monitoring, and voice mails in your phones. They don’t necessarily send information but only respond to specific commands from external sources.
- Relaying and Responding to Information: This is more observable as a general safety measure of establishments and highly technical areas. You can liken them to Artificial Intelligence, or AI, that can relay information and respond to it.
One example of this is a smart shelf. Smart shelves can collect data of weight or number of items on the shelves and send it to store associates. They can also alert customers or store staff if items are missing or low on stock.
The Bottom Line
IoT helps a lot in improving the current situation of our communities in an efficient way. There are specific IoT devices for specific tasks only, so users should do their research to use them properly. Each IoT device has its advantages and disadvantages as well.
Now that you know the basics of IoT, there might be some IoT devices that you’re missing out in your inventory. Might as well grab one and use it for good. Just make sure to be vigilant and stay safe at all times!